Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Volunteering

My MIL has been participating in a monthly service called "Share Food". For $18, she is given two full bags of groceries (one with frozen food, one with fresh produce & non-perishables) with quite a decent selection of healthy items. This program is open to everyone, all they ask in return is that you give back to the community with two hours of volunteer service a month, honor system. We have been ordering a package for our household, too.

My MIL is in her 70s, and while participating in activities at her senior center might be considered volunteering, I do my best to keep our karma up, by doing at least two hours of straight, uncompensated volunteer work.

At the kids' daycare, I am on the Board of Directors, a volunteer position that requires more than a few hours each month to fulfill set duties; and in my neighborhood, I took on the job of community newsletter editor, which also takes several hours, but is a bi-monthly publication.

Despite the fact that we are a two-income family, daycare costs eat up almost all of our discretionary funds (and now with my job relocation, my transportation expenses are sky-high), so we take any help we can get to stay within our budget. I'm glad Share Food is so inclusive.

I think it's a great program, giving locals incentives to give back, in return for deeply discounted groceries. Check to see if this program is in your area. I'm pretty sure the url is http://www.sharedc.org/

1 comment:

  1. What a great program! And a great way to keep folks from feeling like they are receiving charity, because they are giving back valuable service to the community. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online