Friday, February 20, 2009

Wanting to be more gracious


Broken flower
Originally uploaded by julius_cesar713
For Valentine's Day, this past weekend, Rosie gave her (our) dance teacher, Mrs. H, a valentine's card and a flower. The flower was a small purple and white flower Rosie chose from a larger bouquet at our house. I noticed as I was holding it after we arrived at ballet that the stem had broken in transit and started to apologize to Mrs. H. She replied, "Oh, no! It's gorgeous! I love it! Thank you so much!" with such conviction that I really believe that she meant it. I don't think I could pull that off, personally. Mrs. H works with all ages, from 3 years old through well-past retirement ages and must get all sorts of tokens from her students all year long. All I've ever seen her show is graciousness and appreciation for any gifts.

I find myself surprised by this! And shamed, slightly, that I am surprised and don't express how grateful I am for overtures people have made to me. I'm quick to think that a gift has strings or a hidden meaning and pause to grind gears in my head rather than just give plain and sincere thanks.

Something to reflect and work on. Give me a spindly, broken, cheap fragile, beautiful blossom, and I'll enjoy it for its moment in time and let the loveliness of nature and the gesture enrich my day. Really.

Something to meditate on.

2 comments:

  1. WifeRat is the Queen of gift receiving; she gushes endlessly and with great enthusiasm over the most minor tokens. My Father often commented on what a pleasure it was to give her a gift because she was always so appreciative. The one down side of this is that I often have NO IDEA whether or not she actually likes what I have given her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time, I was feeling Mrs. H out on whether she'd like a pink bracelet I was making and she said, "I'm a girly-girl, I love pink!" She told me, "Oh, I like everything! I'm easy that way!" Maybe they do like everything?

    For opposite's sake, an acquaintance of Monkeyrotica's once threw a gifted book back in his face and screamed at him for being so thoughtless (it wasn't "her" genre). At least we knew what she was thinking! I think he found her reaction refreshing, but we are not friends with her anymore, I'll admit.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online